Parenting or child rearing, as defined by Wikipedia, is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, financial, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood. Parenting refers to the aspects of raising a child aside from the biological relationship.
Please take a little journey with me as we look at the Essentials of Parenting from Manoah, the father of Samson.
And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the tribe of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren and had no children (Judges 13:2 AMP).
In my study of the Book of Judges, I came to glean some instructions for parenting from the life of MANOAH. Parenting in this age and time has become a serious challenge due to the evolving societal demands. In my believe, I am convinced that EVERYTHING that we need has been written already in the Scriptures.
1) HONOUR: The absence of children have wrecked many marriages and societies. For some, the spouse became promiscuous, opening doors for the serpent to bite. Every successful parent must necessarily be a successful man/woman. A man who didn’t marry another nor divorced his wife, with the excuse of her been barren, must have indeed been a man of great honour. He understood that Marriage is honourable in ALL things, including moments of barrenness. Every Godly Parent Must Honour Their Marriage Always! A marriage without honour cannot produce Godly parenting.
2) PRAYERFUL: Manoah kept interceding for him and his wife for the barrenness to cease. He didn’t give up after the first nor second year, he persisted in the place of prayer. GOD has no interest in the prayer of a Parent who abuses his/her spouse. The husband and wife are joint-signatories in making demands from heaven. For every Prayerful Home, there is an Answering God! Without Persistent Prayers, parenting becomes tedious and unproductive.
Then Manoah entreated the Lord and said, O Lord, let the Man of God whom You sent come again to us and teach us what we shall do with the child that shall be born (Judges 13:8 AMP).
3) PARENTING IS NOT LOTTO: Manoah was not contended that his prayer has been answered, he pressed further in prayer to seek out what they must do with their child. Parenting actually begins from the conception, and even much more after delivery of the child. You don’t become a Father simply because you donated the sperm, you actually become a father based on your mentoring and shaping of that child. Don’t leave the details of the training of your children to CHANCE, it’s never a Guess Work.
And Manoah said, Now when your words come true, how shall we manage the child, and what is he to do? (Judges 13:12 AMP).
4) THANKFUL: Those who can think well can thank well too! Manoah was a man who knew how to appreciate good deeds. It takes a Parent that is grateful to know the value of each child and not treat them as mere possessions. To properly raise a child, you must appreciate that every child is a great gift from God. Thankful parents also raise thankful children; children who understand that humans are to be treasured not used selfishly.
And Manoah said to the Angel of the Lord, What is your name, so that when your words come true, we may do you honor? (Judges 13:17 AMP).
5) SENSIBLE: Parenting actually is a responsibility of at least the Husband and Wife, therefore the choice of marriage is very crucial. Manoah had made a great choice of life partner. He married a sensible woman. A sensible spouse who knows his/her God personally and intimately. Only these can be able to drive sense into their children. The World is in dare need of sensible people, and only SENSIBLE PARENTS can offer such.
But his [sensible] wife said to him, If the Lord were pleased to kill us, He would not have received a burnt offering and a cereal offering from our hands, nor have shown us all these things or now have announced such things as these (Judges 13:23 AMP).
6) INVEST: It is appointed that all flesh shall come to an end, we are simply mortals and won’t live forever. Even Lazarus that was raised from the dead still died after living his age. Parenting is NOT by investing FOR your children, but by investing IN your children. The properties and bank savings can be manipulated and taken over by fraudulent relatives or natural disasters, but the Spiritual, Educational, and Character development last beyond the future. Train a Whole Man!
Later his brothers and other relatives went down to get his body. They took him back home and buried him between Zorah and Eshtaol, where his father, Manoah, was buried. Samson had judged Israel for twenty years.(Judges 16:31 NLT)
In all of these, Parenting is essentially a life long working! It is deliberate and cautious one. It is not to be left for chance, every one MUST be committed. Wether as an Uncle, Aunt, Mother or Father, we have our role in raising a Godly, Sensible and Humble generation.
Though Manoah appeared to be a Great Father, yet he could not help Samson overcome lust for women! Only God can save you from the Lust of the Eyes, Lust of the Fresh and the Pride of Life!
Whoever you are, Parent or Child,
You Must Be Saved!
No Child Is A Mistake!
Every Child Must Be Brought Up as an Individual, who has his/her own perculiarities.
GOD Bless You!